#9- Yoga!

Good Morning Everyone :) Today I thought I’d write a post dedicated to yoga as today is International Yoga Day. Yoga is an anci...

Good Morning Everyone :)

Today I thought I’d write a post dedicated to yoga as today is International Yoga Day.



Yoga is an ancient Hindu tradition which originates from India and started more than 15,000 years BC.
 The word “Yoga” was first written in the Agamas (sacred scriptures) by Lord Shiva  on palm leaves and these are the teachings that everyone should be following even to this day.
There are still some of these original texts on leaves available today, so I will link them here when I find them:


Yoga was also written in Rig Veda which is one of the Hindu sacred texts from a large body of texts called the Vedas.
Yoga first started during the Indus Sarasvati civilisation .Essentially the definition of yoga would be “to join” or “unity” as it derived from the Sanskrit word “yuj”.







This discipline is becoming more and more popularly practiced and well known all around the world. Yoga is seen as a sort of trend for getting fitter and to help with relaxation, which means people are forgetting how 
and where it started and comes from.

However, I also feel that it is great that its such a well established practice because I have known about and grown up around Yoga all my life. This is because my parents had been interested in and practicing yoga since I was really young.
My dad teaches yoga in my local area and I remember learning it even at very young age. Even though I am much less in touch with it now, I am grateful to have known about as a child and especially because it was long before it became “a trend” or “cool”. 


I am so proud to know the true true origin and history of  Yoga. Popularity does not necessarily mean that the quality or how it is practiced has improved. Yoga's original form and source can never be developed upon, it is the purest and most accurate form and will always be.


  



Last year was the first ever International Yoga Day and it so happened to fall on Father’s Day. So me ,my sister and my Dad decided to go down to the Southbank of London and join in by practicing yoga on the grass.  This was a great idea as my Dad loves Yoga and has been practicing it for a very long time.

This was a great experience for us and soo much fun !! It was amazing to know that we were doing it at the same time along with thousands  of others all over the world.


This is a little glimpse of how it was :





International Day of Yoga 2015- London Southbank



I thought this would be a great opportunity to share my thoughts on Yoga. I hope you enjoyed this post and that it gave you information or just interested you.
If any of you are joining in or celebrating today in anyway please let me know down below in the comments.

Thanks so much if you've read this far down xx


Todays Quote : “Yoga adds years to your life and life to your years”- Alan Finger

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is great saranka! I never knew you write so well😂💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha lol do I ?🙈
      Thaanks Sharanya 😊♥️

      Delete